Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Getting rid of RV stink

On our one day outing I noticed that the leak over the windshield had left a noticeable mildew odor up front. I had bought a product called RV shocker from Biocide which is supposed to kill odor with chlorine dioxide. We did all the prep and set it off over night. The reaction failed. We were within a couple of days of our big trip and there was no way I could RV in a mildewy RV.

Then I remembered that I used Lysol spray to kill a bad odor in my car air conditioning system. So I decided to try the same. I got the unscented one (which still smells like toxic chemicals) used a heavy duty chemical filtration mask for Chlorine Dioxide from the hardware store and set to saturating the front area, in all the cabinets and all over the dash. Lysol says to let it sit for 10 min. I probably left it closed up for a half  hour before opening all the windows and running big box fans.

But it worked! The odor was completely gone. I made sure to spray thoroughly the area of the dash and ceiling where the drip came in and went down the windshield posts.

I do not recommend doing this without a gas mask. And you may want to consider goggles for eye protection.

After about a day of airing it out the Lysol smell disappeared and the RV was back to neutral smelling.

There is a warning about applying Lysol to plastics and some other materials. Our dash, walls, ceilings, fabrics etc did fine. The only thing that seemed to discolor was the plastic electrical outlet above the dash. Not sure if it was like that before due to sun damage or if it was from the Lysol. I think it was the Lysol.

No comments:

Post a Comment