Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Bandolier National Monument

This is a great place to actually go inside of cliff dwellings in an easy access way.
Kiva.
Picture of cliff dwellings with access ladders.

View back down to Pueblo ruins.

Inside a cliff dwelling.
More cliff dwellings.
It appears there were exterior rooms attached to the interior rooms. You can see the old post holes.
Preserved wall art under plexiglass.

The path back offers shade.
Unfortunately we were initially caught behind a 40 person tour group. Once we got by I could get some good pictures. But I missed getting into the first cliff room because of their line. I think this site is a must see if you are in the area. Not nearly as crowded as Mesa Verde and very easy access to the sites.



2 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures. Happy memories for me. I got a little sculpture of the little men in robes who inhabit the area. Can't remmember the artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have spent several days here visiting the sites while camping up on the plateau, Juniper Campground right next to the state highway and close to the entrance road. Across the highway is a barbed wire fence, part of Los Alamos National Laboratory, from which explosions can be heard as part of the laboratories research. On one trip I brought my bike, and so was able to ride the bike down to the bottom of the canyon where the visitors center was, a great ride with scenic view and almost no pedaling necessary. I locked my bike there, and walked back to my campsite. From the bottom of the canyon there was a steep hiking trail with a good view of the canyon as you climbed. Back at the campsite I got into my truck, went back down and retrieved my bike. I find it more fun to hike uphill than to bike uphill, especially at this altitude.

    ReplyDelete