Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Glenwood Canyon Resort

I basically did no planning for this trip and relied on my memory for things I had read when researching other trips. For Glenwood Springs my recollection was that there were no camping areas so when we got there at dusk and saw Glenwood Canyon Resort I decided to check in no matter what. $60+ later  ($42 camping, $5 each pet, $5 car taxes etc.) I had a gravel spot surrounded by more gravel that was so narrow I couldn't walk around the RV without treading on the next spot.

The Resort has three rows of camping. One up by I-70.

The middle one that we took has a bar at the end of the row so you get to listen to cars and people on the very noisy gravel.


The one down by the river was the prettiest but if you are outdoors when the trains go by and apply their squeaky brakes it causes pain in your ears and probably the dog's too. I couldn't get my dogs to willingly walk back down there once they experienced it.


We arrived on a Fri. night which apparently is a very bad time to arrive. All night long vehicles continued to come in, probably from Denver. On a paved road this would have been OK but they have a very large gravel that is extremely noisy and the vehicles going by woke us up all night long.

From the bar area there is a zipline adventure. I imagine when it is operating it also generates alot of vehicle traffic noise but it wasn't going while we were there.





The big plus for this resort was that it is adjacent to the Glenwood Canyon Bike Path. Near the bar building there is a shortcut over to the path.

 The bike path is super pretty and goes along the river.


Based on the Colorado tourist materials we could find there was only one other RV camping place nearby so we stayed a second night, dreading the noise because there was a wedding at the bar building on Sat. night. However the wedding guests were not noisy and all cleared out by 10 p.m. The second night we got alot more sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment