Saturday, July 9, 2011

Great Sand Dunes National Park

Our last stop for the trip was at Great Sand Dunes National Park. What a treat! I did not know how much I would enjoy this stop and had included it simply because my husband had come here as a child and loved it. We will definitely be back. I think this may have been the highlight of the trip as far as the National Parks go, simply because I did not expect much. Our campsite was OK. Nothing special with lots of other campers nearby. We stayed at Pinyon Flats Campground in the National Park.

We did have a view of the dunes and there was a great path right next to our site where we could walk down to them.

So first thing in the morning that is where we headed.

The dogs were thrilled and playful like pups.



I was amazed at how big the dunes were.


We headed right in search of the creek that runs in the spring.

Eventually we hit wet sand.

The doggies are hiding in the shade. Lest you think we were mistreating them we brought plenty of water, were monitoring the temperature of the sand with our bare feet and they were back in the RV by 11 a.m. I had read about how hot the sand got so was careful to turn back in time. Amazingly alot of people were just taking their dogs out on the sand as I was coming back up the trail. I warned them about the sand temperature.

But after a while of this I started back with the dogs while my husband continued on.
Blossom rests back at the camper.

Eventually he found the creek.

And took some pics of the water.

I however, was glad to have headed back early as it had gotten really hot out. My husband reported that we could have walked on a jeep trail that runs parallel to the river and kept the dogs off the hot sand. I will have to check this out next time we go.

Last stop (to dump) before leaving the park.


Last view of the dunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment