Sunday, August 31, 2014

Walking in Medicine Bow National Forest

I can't say what I did was hiking. It could more aptly be described as ambling or walking in a meandering manner. The problem is that I don't do well with altitude and we were at 8200 ft and that was too much for me. Last time we were there I was very tired also but I had attributed it to the prep for the trip. No excuses like that this time and I could tell with the slight headache that it was altitude related.

Pups exploring trail near our campsite.


Many old jeep trails had been blocked off with fences but gave good areas to walk from the camp sites.

Many had water just below.

Rocks in the distance.

Old jeep trail.

More water.



I'm glad the rock did not fall on Sunshine. Interesting rock formations and balanced rocks were everywhere. (Shhh, don't tell the boy scouts.)

Walking along the dirt road lead to a beautiful valley. There was a parking lot for people to go hiking.

This was as far as we got. Didn't get to see the campsites beyond this.

Pretty rocks near the entrance.
Just two and three more sites beyond the one we selected were two that I thought were pretty spectacular and well spaced from others (as were most of them). Our fellow boondockers were considerate. The first night we had some loud music and yelling at the site next to us but they were so far away you could only hear them slightly when outdoors and not at all in the RV. They went to bed before 10 p.m. as when we went out for the dogs last bathroom break all was quiet. The second night we had no rowdy campers so were very thankful. You always take your chances in the national forest.

1 comment: