Sunday, May 29, 2011

Adventures in de-winterizing

Since we got the RV last year this is the first year we have dewinterized. We had no leaks or rodent intrusions so it was nice to pick it up and find it pretty much just as we left it. Also it appears to be very airtight. There was no layer of dust on top of everything.

I must say I continue to be absolutely thrilled with the quality of the RV. We tested everything except the fridge and it all still works flawlessly. We will test the fridge on our first trip since our driveway isn't level enough to run it.

However, being newbies we made some mistakes. When we put water back in the system we didn't realize the shower head in the storage compartment was open. So we took everything out to dry and put a box fan in to dry out the carpet.

When I tested the furnace I didn't turn the off switch all the way off, I just turned the temperature down. I didn't realize it but last year I wasn't throwing the off switch all the way over either. However, I was doing it enough to break the contact. This morning I took the temperature controller apart to see why it didn't go off I saw that there is a little plastic bump that it has to go over to completely break the contact.

At night the fan came back on and ran all night. Surprisingly it didn't deplete the batteries much. And it allowed us to test a new solar panel we bought to hook up to the battery to charge it. Luckily I had turned off the propane after testing everything so at least we weren't heating the outdoors all night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment