Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Summer is coming to a close

After our spectacularly successful Labor Day camping trip I thought I'd record some thoughts on the RV.

I am constantly amazed that we can drive this little house around with us. When I wake up I can't really believe this is considered camping. I wake up in a comfortable bed in a heated RV, with access to a bathroom. My breakfast comes straight from the fridge. If I need to toast something in the toaster I can by turning on the generator. Likewise for the microwave. RVing isn't really camping at all. It's like staying in a hotel with a private kitchen where the view is constantly changing.

I am really enjoying getting out in the woods with this RV. Some places it is very tight to turn around a 30 ft RV but we always make it. Also our ground clearance is pretty good and we manage rough roads very well. We put some $s into making sure the suspension was at it's best on our used RV and they have paid off on the dirt roads.

I am amazed at the night sky. I find it hard to believe that everyone used to see this every night before electric lights drowned most of it out. Spectacular!!! Next time were bringing a telescope.

Blossom loves the RV. Sunshine hates it. When we bring it home Blossom is in and out in anticipation. Sunshine goes and hides under the bushes and won't come out. It takes both of us to flush him out and then he is resigned with a droopy look to going. Hopefully this will change as he gets more confident. He is a special needs dog that was from a hoarding situation and initially our foster dog. We adopted him after our oldest dog passed away due to his adorable personality and the fact that it takes about a year to rehabilitate this type of dog and by then we knew we would be too attached to place him. He loves the forest hikes and smells but you can tell when there are real wildlife nearby as he is definitely scared. He is a helpful bear barometer for me and based on his reactions I know when to be extra careful.

2 comments:

  1. If you have not tried it before, take some good binoculars out for night sky viewing. Trying with binoculars will give you an idea about whether you want or need to invest in more firepower, such as a telescope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob, we did have some large heavy duty binoculars with us. Unfortunately they were so heavy that I couldn't hold them steady enough to see anything. While my husband was counting moons around Jupiter all I saw was a rapidly moving white dot. We do have a very large heavy duty telescope. It is 8 inches wide and more than 4 ft long. The base is extremely heavy so it doesn't go many places but I think we'll make some room for it in the RV.

    ReplyDelete