Sunday, August 8, 2010

New color scheme



The original bedroom curtains and valances (above) looked nice when we bought the RV but fell apart in the wash due to sun rot. As a result the bedroom look was wide open. I would have loved to have bought commercial valences/curtains and just cut them down but I also wanted to expose as much of the window area (particularly in the back window) to preserve the view so I naively got some stitch witchery and some fabric...

Because there was blue in the original color scheme and I owned a blue comforter I decided to do blue (base color) replacement curtains. Unfortunately I did not find a fabric I thought was cute. I did try one out (see below) but it didn't make the cut.

Sorry for the blurry photo but I only took the one before taking it down. It looked good, was in keeping with the RV color scheme and the wallpaper but seemed too generic to me.

I then bought a second which didn't even make it into curtain form. Clearly I needed to do something different so I brought the RV to JoAnn fabrics and got the manager to agree to let me take fabric out to test the colors before purchasing.

In this batch I found some really cute fabric with bears, squirrels, deer, ducks, butterflies, dragon flies, acorns and oak leaves. The colors were strong fall colors. They clashed with the light pastel blue, peach and sea foam green in the wall paper. I was so smitten with it that I ignored the wall paper clash and the pinkish color to the mini blinds. Instead I decided I needed to send the wall paper to the back ground.

In addition I needed to dress the rather thin, not drapery quality, fabric up some for it to look a little more like nice curtains. So with a little more stitch witchery some trim went on. (The whole thing is stitch witchery, no sewing. I hope it doesn't melt!)


At JCPenney.com I found a quilt with what appeared to be the same colors so I ordered it. It was a perfect match and I love the pattern.

The end result is we now have a cabin theme RV with a fall color scheme. It looks pretty good! I just happened to have some holiday throw pillows in the basement that have complimentary colors and a woodsy theme. They look wonderful on the dinette and carry the bedroom colors through the RV! Thankfully the carpet, linoleum, furniture and living area valances are all a neutral beige so you can pretty much do any color as long as you can overcome the wallpaper.

The colors compliment the dog's fur. Which, of course, is important.

4 comments:

  1. I love it! The end result is beautiful and looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's fun to make the RV "your own".

    We just replaced the uncomfortable couch with a great dual recliner love seat.

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! The cabin theme is cute and the comforter is beautiful! Don't know how much your puppy sheds, but the pattern should hide it nicely.

    Because our dog id black, we tend to buy a lot of dark blues for the bed : )
    Jean (+Raymond & Greyla)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive feedback! In terms of Miss Blossom she is 1/2 Husky so sheds a ton. The comforter does a nice job hiding it!

    Cheers!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete